Monday, February 10, 2014

YOU STINK!

Yes, you! You who ride your bike to work. Don't worry it's not so bad. There a few ways to keep the stink down.

1.It seems obvious but, wash your clothes often. I haven't used any of the "special" active wear detergent but, I have tried the home brews. Hydrogen peroxide just makes your clothes smell like hydrogen peroxide. The best thing I've found is to pre-soak in detergent before you wash. I do this maybe once a month and it helps a lot. Lot's of detergent.

2.Always air dry your clothes. Never put them in the dryer. Not only does the dryer cut down on the lifespan of the clothes but, it casts it's own stench into the clothes.

My helmet smells!
I had this with my first helmet and I'd wash the foam inserts and after a month they're worthless, right? Right. On my second helmet I wised up and started leaving it near the dehumidifier in the basement. This seems to suck out all the moisture with the stink before it has a chance to settle into the helmet pads. I've never washed the pads in my current helmet and it doesn't smell at all and I've had it for over a year.

I smell!
Well besides keeping your kit clean. Obviously, you need to keep clean. I keep a towel, cologne, deodorant, and baby wipes at the shop. You'd be amazed how refreshing a couple baby wipes feel after a ride into work on a 100 degree morning with 100% humidity.
Keep these tips in mind and you're co-workers might stop complaining about your stink sooner or later.

2 comments:

  1. If it's really cold there (below freezing) leave stuff outside. Freezing temps kill the odor-causing bacteria (a trick I learned from rock-climbers who will stash their stinky shoes (inside a sealed plastic bag - otherwise, "yech!") in their freezers to kill odor...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to give that a try. I've never heard that one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete